Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Duck Hunting Comes to an End

Well, it's gotten even colder.  When we got up this morning, one thermometer said 12F.  Brrr.  It's been almost non-stop raining too and we have a few small patches of snow on the ground.  We did get out hunting over the last weekend.  We got up bright and early Saturday morning and took the canoe out(in the snow) and headed to the far blind.  We were out until just before lunch time and ended up with one really nice common merganser.  We saw other birds, but didn't get anymore.  Jeremy shot one and it fell behind us, but we weren't able to find it.  Hayde got birdy at one spot, but we thought maybe it was still alive and headed down the shore.  The merganser he got was acting funny so we're figuring maybe it was the one he had got that we couldn't find.  The water is much higher now and we were able to pull the canoe right up to shore at the blind.  We had a lot of trouble the first weekend out.  Of course, the grass behind the blind got much more muddy - that's why we had trouble finding the bird.  We both ended up falling into the muck up to our thigh/waist.  We also got our nice and early Sunday.  However, we had to fill up with gas before heading out.  We ended up behind someone else and they turned down the road we wanted to take.  Darn - they got there first.  We headed to another stream leading into the lake and decided to wait there until it got light out so we could try canoeing that.  Once it got lighter we noticed no trespassing signs.  We drove down the road a little bit and they were lined along the road.  I then noticed a deer stand.  Once seeing this, Jeremy decided he didn't want to try to canoe the stream and disturb any deer that might be in the area since deer hunting opened the next morning.  We ended up coming home.  So, our last few outings duck hunting weren't the best way to finish up.  Overall, we did have a successful season.  We'll see if we have a chance to get out grouse hunting once we get back from Wisconsin. 

Our next excursion is making a trip back home.  We have two weeks off and we're trying to decide which day to leave.  I think we're going to work it out so Jeremy can come with me to my parents for a few days before heading to the cabin for deer hunting.  I'll stay at my parents in Sheboygan and will have to meet back up with him to head back on the 24th.  I'm getting excited to get back - I think it's been 2 years since being back.  We have lots to do before we head out and the truck's leaking coolant again.  We took it in before my parents visited at the beginning of October and it's still having problems so we dropped it off again tonight.  We may have to look into renting something if it can't be fixed in the next two days.  So, until next time...sorry I didn't get any worthwhile pictures.

No comments: