Hayde and I made it to Sheboygan Wed afternoon. We had a nice evening catching up. Thursday morning, my parents and I walked down past the riverfront to Charcole Inn. They frequent there with some friends for some really good, big, inexpensive strawberry pancakes. I don't think we did much the rest of the day. I'll mention now, that I had come down with a sore throat the very first full day after we arrived in Madison. It hurt for a couple of days, but went away so I was hopeful, this cold wouldn't last long... By this time, my nose was a faucet and I wasn't feeling the best. I did manage to get a short run in with Hayde this day too. And, my parents and I went for some evening walks in the dark to get Hayde out. I think they enjoyed this since they usually don't have an excuse (Hayde) to get out in the winter evenings for a walk.
The next morning, I met a long-time friend of mine, Lily, for a run. She's just starting to pick running up and is doing really well. We managed to get in just about 5 miles! Of course, Hayde came with.
In the afternoon, Joanie stopped by to visit. She's the mother of two of my good friends from high school. We chatted and chatted and looked at all sorts of pictures. It was a great afternoon catching up. But, by this time, I was having a harder time talking as my voice was starting to go and my throat was starting to hurt again.
Saturday monring, I met Lily again at the gym. She had an extra pass so I could get in and she signed us up for a spinning class (instructed cycling class). I had heard about it and know they have classes here on base, but I hadn't yet tried it. It was a great class and workout. I didn't want to push myself too hard as I didn't know how hard it really was going to be and I wasn't feeling well at all. By Saturday, I had lost my voice completely. I also met up with another high school friend of mine, Becky. We hit up a new lunch spot. It was delicous and we got to catch up. I don't think I've seen her in about 4 years or so so it was really nice to see her again.
Sunday, I still couldn't talk, but I did meet one more friend, Annie, for lunch. Her mom is Joanie, above. It was so nice seeing her and her new husband, Jeremy. I had missed her wedding at the end of August and was glad to have the chance to see her again.
After the packer game Sunday and after my parents had packed up the car, all four of us headed down to Chicago. My parents were heading out to Colorado to visit my sister for Thanksgiving. They were dropping me off at my friend, Christine's, for the week so I wouldn't have to sit in Sheboygan in an empty house for the next week. Her mother-in-law came over to help cook an Indian dinner for my parents and I. Her sister-in-law and niece also came over.
It as a really good dinner. My parents stayed over for the night and planned to leave first thing in the morning. However, I had a really bad night and was up half the night blowing my nose, gargling and dry-heaving. I was NOT feeling well at all and I still couldn't talk. I was also having a really hard time breathing and was choking everytime I tried to swallow. Needless to say, the next morning, my parents decided to stay a bit longer and take me to a "doctor". Thankfully there are a few pharmacies around that have a nurse practitioner on-site so we managed to finally find one. Turns out I did have a reason for not feeling well. She basically figured I had bronchitus and prescribed four medicines for me - an inhaler, an antibiotic(after looking in one of my ears, she exclaimed - "YICKES!" so I figured I had a pretty good ear infection), a cough suppressant and a nasal spray. Of course, all these were to be taken at different times and intervals throughout the day. So, I spent the next 3-4 days laying around on the couch, trying to keep Hayde somewhat preoccupied and take here for a few walks. By Tuesday, my voice started to come back a bit and I was slowly starting to feel a bit better. Christine took a 1/2 day and we went to lunch and went to see the new Harry Potter movie at the IMAX and hit Dick's Sporting Goods store (one of my favorite stores). Thursday, we loaded up the car and drove back to Sheboygan. Christine and I met in High school and her parents live 15 min north of Sheboygan. They dropped me off at my parents and I took Hayde for a walk before heading to her parents for Thanksgiving dinner. It was so nice of her family to let me join them for the afternoon. I then went ack to my parents for the night and started to pack up the next morning as well as do a few last minute errands and pick up a few things before leaving.
I'll make a few comments about Jeremy's trip up to the cabin, but I don't dare say too much as I'll get it all wrong. He left quite early from Howard and Marilynne's Thursday morning. He did stop to pick up a camera for himself as I accidently took mine with me. He scouted a while once he got up to the cabin for a spot to deer hunt. Later people started to trickle in. I know there were several deer seen Saturday, but not everyone had luck shooting. All, in all they got three deer. Jeremy didn't even see one, but he did manage to see a wolf (most likely). He did hear several, but they were in some pretty thick stuff and never actually saw them. His friend, Dan, was able to make it for a few days to join him. It seems, this was one of the best trips to the cabin he's had and I'm sure it was nice for him to see some of his uncles again. I also sounds like they had some nasty, cold weather. While it was in the 60s one day in Chicago were I was, I think they were just about freezing!
On Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, Jeremy managed to arrive at 1pm from the cabin and we packed my stuff up in the truck to start our long drive back. Hayde was sure happy to see him again after traveling all over with me.We wanted to make it to Sault Ste. Marie for the night. We drove and drove and stopped in Escanaba for dinner. We then made it to Manistique and all was fine. Just about 5 minutes outside of Manistique, it started snowing. I had checked the weather for several days and knew there was potential for snow, but hopped it wouldn't. Within mintues, the road was getting covered. We slowed way down and before we knew it, the roads were filling up. We watched the snow coming down horizontally since it was so windy and then we could only see as far as the headlights. Thankfully, we were at a point where there are so few people living and there were almost no cars out. We finally got to our turn to head north a bit before heading east again. Thankfully, when they redid the road, they put in a rumble strip in the center. Jeremy tried to keep the left wheels on it so we knew where the road was. We drove and drove. I had picked up a safety harness and thankfully, was able to get Hayde in it and belted in just in case. The 1-1/2 hour drive ended up taking us about 3-1/2 hours. We only saw a handful of cars out and only one in the ditch. We did make it to Sault Ste. Marie and I was so thankful to finally be off the roads. We got in about 9pm or 9:30pm, grabbed our stuff and went to bed.
The next morning, it was still snowing, but we packed up and headed out. We crossed the bridge and made it to Canadian customs. Of course, they asked about fire arms and Jeremy said, yes, he had two. They asked for his registration and he handed over the paper. They questioned this and said this was only temporary registration for 60 days. We were confused so they sent us inside. Thankfully, the officers were really nice, explained that we had to call the registration in, re-registered his guns under the temporary registration and let us go. So, we started our second day. We stopped short of Sudbury for lunch and ended up making it home around 6pm and thankfully the snow must of been lake effect snow only in Sault Ste. Marie. We did come home to maybe 6inches or more of snow. What a trip!
No comments:
Post a Comment