I had to go back to my last post to see where I've left off. So, it turned out we got the dogs for a full 3 weeks! WHEW! That was quite the job. Marnie had some bad unexpected news and ended up staying longer than she expected. I'm glad we were able to help her out with the dogs. I did manage to get back into my routine for the most part the 3rd week as I had only wanted to take 2 weeks easy after my run. However, I think the lack of sleep and poor eating for those 3 weeks made my recovery extremely slow. I'm finally starting to feel better and it's been over a month. Here's a few pictures of the last night we had Bean and Cooper. I took them out for a 45 minute run down to the point and back and let them splash in the water a few times. Boy, were they worn out!!! Cooper didn't even bother standing up to eat. He immediately came inside and plopped down on the floor and didn't move the rest of the night. Tells you just how great of shape Hayde's in!




We've gotten out fishing a few times too. We started fishing for walleye again since the northern fishing was going a bit slow. Jeremy did catch a few nice northern though. We also found our way up to the Swisha, up past Deep River. We've heard about fishing up there many many times, but we just hadn't gotten there. The boat landing is in Quebec so we were never sure of all the rules. I "caught" a really nice walleye, but never got it into the boat.
We also finally finished the cabinets!!!! YAH! What a relief! Here's the kitchen. Still have to figure out what to do with the backsplash behind the sink. We had gotten tiles for it, but have to work around the outlets somehow.



I've been trying to pick up my running again and managed 16K(10 mi) this past weekend and it felt really good. There's a race in early October in Chalk River that I'm not sure I can pass up. They're doing a 5k, 10k, 1/2 and full. Ummmm.....take a guess at what I'm thinking about. I don't plan on going all out for it if I do, do it. I also got some new running gear. Two new pairs of shoes....I'm being bad, and some compression socks. I've heard a lot about the socks and my fellow runners who have them like them. They're supposed to help the blood flow through the legs which helps during long races or recoverying. Jeremy also got his 1st real pair of running shoes and so far I think has enjoyed them. Here are pictures of all the different types of shoes I've been using lately to try to break my feet into as minimal of support as I can. Notice the "drop" between the heel and toes. The bigger the heel the more hefty and full of support they are. The more minimal, the more natural the gait the body tends to take to optimize the natural efficiencies. However, the more minimal you go, the more strength you need in your feet, ankles, calves. We've lost a lot of that strength from wearing such big shoes full of support.
 |
| The "Normal" clunky shoe with a big heavy heal to cushion the heal-striker |
 |
| The light weight trainer I did my trail marathon in. Much less support. (notice how dirty they are from the trail) |
 |
| My new shoes. They have a 8mm drop from heel to toe - considered "normal" shoe, but very light weight(semi-minimalist) |
 |
| My Newton shoes I got last winter. Lightweight shoe. |
 |
| Notice the "lugs" on the bottom forefoot. They're supposed to help propel the foot forward in the pushoff motion. It's stated runners have dropped minutes off their normal race times with these. |
 |
| My real minimalist shoes I've been doing my track, hill and shorter distances(up to 60 min) in. I'm slowly breaking my feet into these and have notice a difference in my stride after running in these for several months now. I can't remember what the heel to toe drop is for these but I must be about 4mm. |
 |
| My other new pair - 5-fingers. These have about a 2mm drop from heel to do and do the best job of mimicing barefeet/natural pysiological running - the way we were build to run. |

Also, we had a three day weekend for a Civic Holiday at the beginning of the month. We had finished the kitchen by then. We had Margo and Bernie over for dinner one night. I used to car pool with her and I'm hoping I can start to once I finally get transfered to my new job. We had a good night. Jeremy did up some fish and we made a nice fuit salad and veggie salad. Jeremy also made a really good creme de minthe pie with an oreo crust. Marnie also came up on the Monday and we took the dogs (Bean and Cooper) to the dog park. No one was there so we let the dogs run around a bit. Eventually someone came with a really agressive dog that wasn't any good for the dogs we had so we left shortly after. We also boated over to her and Jason's place the last weekend after we fished for a little bit. We had a good visit with them and the dogs got to play around in the water. This last weekend we made a trip into Ottawa for some shopping! We stopped at Sail(sporting goods store). We picked up a few lures and I got a really nice camo/hunting jacket that will have no excuse not to keep me warm! My first real camo wear! I'm so excited and I'm sure I'll get lots of use out of it. No more wearing Jeremy's stuff that's 10 sizes too big. We also stopped at a running store where I picked up the few items I mentioned above. Our last stop was to Future Shop(similar to Best Buy), we we found a really nice laptop. Jeremy had to go back tonight to pick it up once they got it all set up and ready for us. I guess my desktop is getting a bit outdated. Poor guy! He's 10 years old and is having more and more trouble keeping up with all the fancy new stuff that takes up so much more memory and omph.
Well, it's almost 10pm and I must get to bed. I'm really trying to "catch up" on my sleep to keep myself heathly. Until next time...
No comments:
Post a Comment