Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Almost Done

We got up Saturday and headed straight for the roof. We got the rest of the hallway and addition covered with tar paper and then started scrapping the rest of the garage. Finally, we were able to start shingling the remainder, trickiest part of the house. It was yet another HOT day, but thankfully cloudy.

We got started on the hallway connection with the garage before starting the hallway connection with the addition and then the hallway connection with the house...
We hauled the last 4 layers of shingles from the pallet below to cover the parts on Saturday - Jeremy carried them up the ladder where I was waiting to pick them up and lay them where we needed them on the roof. We took a 1/2 bundle at a time or 10 shingles (20 shingles/bundle, ~70lbs/bundle and we bought 90 bundles or two pallets worth!)
We finally finished the connections and were able to start covering the straight parts. We interlocked the valleys to cover the slightly rusted valleys that were already on the house. Jeremy did redo a few with new flashing where it was really tricky.
I cut shingles the for edges, corners and valleys while he laid them and then I placed the rest of them while he nailed for the straight parts.
We finally finished up early evening on Saturday - at least covering the house. However, Jeremy proceeded to throw his back out with about 2-3 strips to go! We stopped for dinner and he tried stretching out a bit and then we headed back up to finish. I had to pick up a little bit of slack and carry the last bundle or two of shingles up myself. Thankfully we didn't have much left! View from the front looking towards the back.View from the back looking towards the front.Sunday, I got up and got ready for my run. My co-worker I sit next to, Jodi, came over to assist me. She brought her bike and biked with me carrying my gatorade. It turned out to be a decent day, still warm, but a bit cloudy and not as hot as it had been. We took Hayde with us for the first loop - about 4.5 miles down to the river so she could splash in the water. We dropped her off then headed back out. Meanwhile, Jeremy got a most of the trimming down around the edges of the house where we left full shingles. He then started the big pick-up job and got our magnet out we bought to search for never-ending nails laying about the yard. I finally finished up, showered and ate and helped him pick up a bit. After lunch, I came inside to start cleaning - it was a disaster area! Jeremy stayed outside and got a bit of the ridges done and worked on cleaning up the yard and garage. It turns out we're about 3-4 bundles short of finshing all the ridges so we'll have to head back into town to order these last few bundles before completing the job. By night-time we were both exhausted.

Last night, Chelsea and Brad come over for dinner with their German Shephard, Magnum. We had a good night hanging out and chatting. Brad finally got his boat motor working so we'll have to plan to get out on the river fishing with them. Tonight, Jeremy has hockey and another co-worker, Harminder, might stop by to go roller bladding. She's never gone before and wants to try it so I told her I'd go with her. I had a few minutes so I wanted to post our update. Hopefully, we'll finally have a day to rest and relax. However, I NEED to start to hit the gym again and we have to make a quick decision about whether or not we want to try to get to Oak Ridge, TN next week before Jeremy's friend leaves. We want to check out the area and the national lab there to see if it's some place we might want to live if we ever decide to move back to the US from here.

No comments: