Thursday, July 12, 2012

NEWS!!!!

This will be a quick one....some news to pass along.  I hope to have a little bit more news at a later date (hopefully sooner than later).  I'm headed out tomorrow after work for my 42k(26.1mi) Limberlost Challenge trail race in Huntsville, ON.  It's Saturday and it's supposed to be 32C/95F.  We'll see how this goes.  My hamstring's been bothering me this week to the point it's been difficult to walk, but I've tried rolling it with a tennis ball while I sit at work and it's feeling better.  I'm also extrememly exhausted from our big cabinet push, trying to clean up, get my runs and lifting in, getting ready to dog sit 2 dogs for 2 weeks and finding a few times to get out fishing(more to come).  Anyway, on to the big news:

Good news first!  I accepted a new job offer within AECL!  I've been very patiently awaiting something good to happen like this.  It's taken 8 interviews and even more resume submissions and unforunately, my current boss has been given me bad references(I'm assuming as I got confirmation someone gave me a bad reference).  However, I'm very happy to have gotten around him on this one.  However, he's now making a point to get a release date from my current position very difficult.  I just don't understand this place.  I think he can only hold me for about 6 weeks(although it's looking like he's holding my project leader for 8 weeks as he's accepted a new position as well).  Hopefully more to come soon.

Concerned news....Jeremy's union may go on strike starting on Tuesday.  We've been working on new union agreements with all the unions at work and his is the last and it's looking like our company is going to make this last one difficult.  They met one more time today to try to negotiate with a mediator so hopefully we'll hear something tomorrow.  They have to give 72 hrs notice...whether that includes the weekend or not, we're not sure.  Not sure about what kind of strike it may be, but they have to let in essential services at least(ie. to keep the reactor running and safety services).  I think there are about 700-800 professionals here that fall within this union so a lot of things will come to a halt if this happens, unless they do something like a rotating strike and allow 10% to picket and the remaining have to work.  Who knows.  We'll see soon enough.  I know within my division at least we'll probably lose 1/2 of our labor at least.  I'm not included in this union so I'm good to continue to work.

So, until next time....let's cross our fingers for success!

No comments: