Sunday, May 26, 2013

Marathon #13 Complete!

Well, #13 in 13 years is complete!!!  We had a very successful weekend.  I headed to Ottawa yesterday morning with Janice and Judy.  We got to the hotel, walked over to the expo to pick up our race stuff, walked around for a while, then headed a few blocks away to the Sports 4(running) store downtown.  We then headed back and got to see the start of the 5k.  My co-worker Jodie and her friend, Lynn (I've started running with them once or twice a week), were doing the 5k.  I didn't actually get to see them, but ran into them at the expo.  We then headed back to the hotel room to drop our stuff off and headed out to eat dinner at Mama Theresa's.  It was delicious!  We had a good time at dinner.  We got back just in time to see the walkers finish the 10k. 

 photo IMG_0056_zpscdf0419e.jpg  photo IMG_0058_zpsb88cc4ae.jpg
So, we were up just before 6am this morning.  My race started at 7am.  Both Judy and Janice got up and came to the start with me.
 photo IMG_0066_zpsed9d0c44.jpg  photo IMG_0067_zps4ca7a83f.jpg  photo IMG_0068_zps128b409b.jpg  photo IMG_0070_zps34302890.jpg
It was about 10C which is cool for me so I had a few layers on.  It was a bit windy too.  But, we were off!  I didn't have any time goal since I wanted to use this more as a training run and I didn't want to over do it because I want to be able to recover quickly so I can pick my training back up soon.  But, after a few kilometers, I check my watch for my pace and realized I was moving along at a good paced.  I wasn't sure how that was going to go, but I felt good enough and it felt comfortable so I kept going.  I tried to stay on the grass when I had a chance and that really helped me feel good.  I had enough pains here and there(foot bottoms, foot top-my metatarsal and cuniforme bones, hamstrings, hips, hip flexor, calves), but they were only noticeable and nothing too bad to cause me too much concern....or that I wasn't expecting.  So, I kept going.  Turns out I felt decent the entire way, so I just kept my pace going!  I finished in 3:47!!!  I finally broke my 3:51/3:52 barrier I haven't been able to break in the last 10 years maybe!  Who would have thought I could pull this time out and I still feel pretty darn good afterwards!  I'd have to say, thanks to P90X!!!!  It's done wonders!  I did have a slight scare at the very end...about 40k in.  All the sudden I felt a small ball in my right calf.  It started low and moved up my calf, stayed put for a minute or so, then it worked it's way up a little bit and disappeared.  I slowed for a little bit not sure what that was, but then it went away so I picked my pace up a bit.  Right at the end, actually where I saw Judy(and she took my picture), it came back for a few seconds, but I was so close, I tried to ignore it.  It did go away.  I'm not sure what it was and will have to check with Annalisa - maybe she has an idea.  Anyway, it hasn't bothered me since and wasn't really painful at all, it just felt really odd!
 photo IMG_0076_zps365f2b37.jpg
So, meanwhile, the 1/2 marathon started at 9am.  Judy went to see Janice off.  I thought maybe the two of us would finish fairly close to each other - she was shooting for about 2 hrs and I was figuring 4 hours....but I was infront my a little bit.  She had a good race and had a lot of fun with it along with breaking 2 hours by a little bit.
 photo IMG_0073_zps576bb940.jpg  photo IMG_0075_zps1e351ddd.jpg
We finished up, and headed back to the hotel to shower and get our stuff.  Then we walked to a nearby restaurant and just as we were about to be seated, we ran into our friend, Jason.  He was all by himself so we asked if we could join him.  He was waiting for Nic to come with a few people she knew.  His wife, Julie had stepped out for a min too.  We had a great lunch together talking about all our races.  Jason took 2 minutes off his 1/2 time at Kingston so he was happy, and Nic took several minutes off her Boston time to finish in 3:17!!!!  She had a great race!  We found out Mike had a good race too, by his time of 3:42.  I have yet to talk to him to get the details.  So, all in all, we all had a terrific race weekend.  I knew more people running, but haven't yet looked up their times.
 photo 980488_10152841588565459_657123528_o_zps0d0ddbc7.jpg
So, the three of us headed out for one more quick shopping excursion before heading home.
see link for my race:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/318627237

 photo IMG_0078_zps760b3952.jpg  photo IMG_0079_zpsbcb4d8ba.jpg

No comments: