Friday, we went out for a nice walk with Hayde in the evening. We looked at all our neighbor's yards to try to get ideas for our own. Somehow, everyone seems to have nice green grass and well landscaped trees/shrubs/gardens and we seem to have the more naturalistic, overgrown bare yard. Well, most of it will have to wait until next year when we don't have to redo the roof, but I'm trying to get little pieces down now at least. We ended up running into Lee since he was going to come over to watch the hockey game (San Jose vs Chicago). We gave him the key so he could get in while we made our way home.
Saturday, I got up and ran with Hayde. Jeremy then picked up his rental car from Chalk River. He drove the green jeep and left it there so I wouldn't have to go with him. Once he got back, we went to the gym to do a quick arm workout. When we got back, Chelsea, her mother-in-law, and I headed out to look for plants. She was putting in a garden in the front of her townhouse. Brad's dad and girlfriend were visiting to help. We stopped at the nursery down the road and check out some prices and plants. After a while, we decided to go into town to Canadian Tire to see what they had and if any of their prices were better. We picked up a few plants there. I also picked up some more grass seed, an extra hose and some planters. We then made our way over to Brum's Dairy(it was after lunch and we were hungry) for some ice cream! YUM! Finally we worked our way back to the nursery and picked up a few other plants we didn't find at the other place. I'd have to say I thought I controlled myself really well. I picked up a few annuals for the planters, a couple of ferns for the side of the house, a clematis (Jeremy likes plants growing up the side of houses) and a really nice bleeding heart. We ran into one of Chelsea's aunt and she said she wanted to break up some of her hostas and potentially roses so Chelsea was going to pick those up and hopefully I can get a couple. We went back to Chelsea's and found Brad and his dad about to start putting the dirt in the garden. I stayed there for a little bit before making my way home. I'd like to go back and see how the plants look in her garden now.
Jeremy and I stayed outside putzing around and trying to figure out what else we wanted to do with the yard. He doesn't like the berry bushes in front of the house where I'd replanted them so it looks like I'm going to have to move them to the back, behind the shed(garage). I think he's also decided to take the cedar down now. It will really let in alot more light and potential options for us to work with. I must also mention, he has managed to con a co-worker, Chris - the one that came to help take the dead tree down, into selling us his hotub, for $200! He'll be taking it out this coming week and wants it gone ASAP. So, it looks like we now have another good project to work on to build a place for that. We're thinking about putting it in the corner of the house between the garage and the deck. But, that means we'll have to open up the side of the deck and put in a cement slab for it to sit on and run the power out somehow. We'll first have to see how big this thing is.
Today, we finally manged to get up and realized we missed the good early morning fishing, but decided to still get out and see what we could catch. I missed running club, but I only had a 5 mile run to do and figured that was easy and I could fit it in sometime during the day. It turned out to be a really nice morning. It was nice and sunny and warm. I was even in a t-shirt (and pants) out on the river! It did cloud over after a bit and cooled down. We went out a little bit from the landing, behind an island. We stayed out for about 3 hours moving around behind the island and by the light house. Jeremy got a couple of bits and I pulled in a walleye! It wasn't huge, but big enough to keep so it went in the live well. I think I had another bit, but that was it. We tried new bait this time, Berkley power bait, the plastic, fake, smelly stuff. We'll have to see how these work.
After we got home, I did more yard work. I planted more grass seed where we had gotten an old stump out yesterday. I had dug and dug around the roots and Jeremy axed a couple of roots and then was able to pull it out with the truck. It went much easier then the dead tree. I started a small garden patch in front of the house, opposite the flower bed, for herbs. Looks like my task for tomorrow will be to move the berry bushes. Hopefully once the grass grows in the front will at least look decent. It's starting to come in where I planted to first patches of grass seed so that's exciting. I'm trying to make sure it's watered plenty, but it's been hard keeping Hayde from running over all of it.
Wild strawberries I moved from the backyard into my garden.
Tomorrow's Victoria Day so we don't have to work! Happy holiday. Jeremy's heading off to Montreal. He's ended up carpooling with one other person so at least he'll have some company on the 5 hour drive. Too bad he has to leave tomorrow and can't enjoy a long weekend. I'm hoping to get some more cleaned up inside too while I have a chance! It's supposed to be around 90F the next three days!
Planters I put infront of the front door.
I moved my tomatoes/peppers into the garden to see if they'd all fit and they just do.
No comments:
Post a Comment