Thursday, August 27, 2009

1st Canadian Anniversary & Offer!!!!!!

This is going to be short even as I have so much to say right now, it's been a very busy, yet long two weeks as we've successfully ended our first official year in Canada! May our second year bring much smoother transitions as we patiently await our lives to finally start to fall into place....

My biggest news is that I received a job offer with AECL this week (Jeremy finally was able to pick it up today as it could have been in my hands two days ago, but he ended up taking a day and a half off)!!!! We've been waiting for this for a year and it's been a long, endless job of job searching. Of course, I am going to accept it and will only have to pull more documents together so they can do a background clearance check on me and then see when I can start as I gather they have two orientations a month for new hires. I will be taking on a project assistant position within the facilities decommissioning department which is the same type of position I had when we left Madison. I'm very excited about this as I really enjoyed my job at Kraft in Madison and hope this new one will be just as good. I also will have a chance to move up into 3 other positions after I gain more experience with AECL. On top of this great news, my starting salary blew me away! Finally, I will be making a real job's salary and it will be a $17,000 raise for me! Again, at least with AECL, they tend to pay positions like this much more than they do in the US and positions like Jeremy's with so much schooling, they tend to pay less than in the US so Jeremy's finally feeling better that my salary can compensate a bit for his.

Going back, I had had an interview back in the middle of July for this position after I had found it online thru AECL's website and had applied for it. It took them a month or more before they contacted me and gave me two days notice before interviewing. That was rather a stressful two days as our future life in Canada was resting on me getting a job! The interview went fairly well, of course they can always go better, so I was hopeful and they said they were all about to go on vacation (or holidays as they say here) so it would be a good month before they could get back to me. What a wait! I did contact them again in the meantime and found out they wanted to know about my work permit/permanent resident status, so I was hopeful and finally on Monday, the manager got back from his vacation and Jeremy's boss phoned him and found out I should be their chosen applicant. So, I just had to wait for the offer and Jeremy was phoned Tuesday to pick it up, but of course he had decided to take that afternoon and Wednesday off since his relatives are still here. After I had gotten home from the interview in July, I had just enough time to change clothes before we headed off to the realtor to put our offer in on the house we're getting. What a day! So, if you remember back to my blog back then, I had said hopefully we'll have two pieces of good news and I can finally spill my second piece of good news!

So, it looks like September will be yet another busy month as I get ready for my new "real" job and as we pack up to move into our new house! I feel so much better now as we head into this new adventure.

Tomorrow we will have to say good-bye to Howard and Marilynne as they begin their drive back to Madison, WI. They've been lucky enough to have spent almost 2 weeks with us and live thru some of our trials, tribulations(both jeeps breaking down in the last week) and excitements!

MUCH MORE TO COME, but I'm tired and have to work tomorrow @ 7am! Good night!

No comments: