Well, so far we've been surviving these subzero temperatures and it looks like the entire midwest is affected by it. I don't think we're too much different, maybe a few degrees colder, but once it's cold, cold is just cold! The last couple mornings it's gotten down to ~-36C which translates to -32.8F. (-40C=-40F). We haven't had much wind so we haven't had to worry about windchills much - thankfully. By afternoon, according to my little weather station in the yard, it's gotten just below 0F so that's not too bad. I think my temperature sensor must be getting a little heat from the house sitting under the porch since when I look online, it's always 5-10 degrees cooler.
This morning was a bit interesting. Jeremy usually leaves for work around 7:15 and I heard the house door open around 7:25 like he came inside so I got up and came downstairs. Sure enough, he was sitting inside and his truck wasn't starting. I checked my weather station and it read -27F (no wind). I think this is the coldest I've ever seen my weather station read. The news was saying it was -36C. So, we sat around for a little bit wondering what to do and of course just as he was going outside to first try his truck, the AECL bus went by. He called Lee and Kharren to see if they were up or going to work (Lee's been plagued by this same cold and only went to work on Monday). Turned out Kharren had to get a jump to get her car started yesterday, so it was unlikely that hers was going to start today. We pondered some more and we saw a taxi pull in across the street (our neighbor must drive a taxi) so Jeremy went out to see if the taxi guy could jump him. Turns out they have too many electronics to be able to jump people. He came back and tried one more time, but was not successful. We were thinking he was going to have to wait for it to warm up, but within the 45 min of us sitting here, the temp wasn't going up. Also, the guy working in the
I've still managed to get out for my runs and have made sure I'm bundled up. I've taken Hayde too, but we've only done short runs of 20 min or less. I think her feet get kinda cold and I keep wanting to get her booties, but Jeremy refuses. I had made a jacket for her the other winter so I put that on her to keep her a little warmer. Unfortunately, it was dark the last couple days by the time I got out and only a few degrees below 0F. I had plans to go to the gym with Kharren, but she kept canceling on me and I didn't find out until after dark. But, of course, I'm prepared to go in the dark with all my blinky lights. However, I feel 100% safer here than I did in any US city running in the dark (or during the day) since people actually respect pedestrians and usually give me enough room if there's no sidewalk. So, as you can see in my picture, I've got my headlight on and reflective stuff - but not as much as I usually wear, and I feel just as safe. So, Mom, you can see that I really AM bundled up and by the time I actually get outside, I'm already sweating. Once we get going, I get even warmer, so I'm never actually cold.
No comments:
Post a Comment