Sunday, March 22, 2009

Job, Wine and Speakers

Our biggest news is that I just got a job! Don't get too excited cause it's not much of anything - low paying, part time job but it's something at least... I had an interview on Wednesday at a cash advance place that's located about 4 or 5 blocks away. They do their hiring a bit differently than most places since they listed only their phone number on the posted job position and who ever called first got an interview. I had seen the same posting a couple months ago and called, but at that time, had just missed an interview slot. This time, I was in luck. After talking to the guy and taking a couple of "tests" it sounded promising. The guy liked me and so far I was one of two that he liked. He mentioned if things went well, they might ask me to come back on Friday to meet with the other guy that was supposed to have interviewed me as well, but ended up not being able to make it. So, I did get a call Friday morning and scurried over to meet the other guy. They mentioned as I was leaving I had about a 98-99% chance of getting it. There were two positions they were trying to fill and they asked if they could give the other person my number if needed since the training is going to take place in Trenton, ON on Tuesday and Wednesday in case we wanted to car pool. I hope she has a car! I haven't yet been able to contact her so we'll see. I hope we can car pool. So, it looks like I'll have something to do come next week and it's likely I could be working over 25 hours a week and hopefully can work mostly in the Petawawa office rather than the Pembroke office, but most likely, I'll have to go into Pembroke on occasion - I guess Jeremy will either have to learn to get up a little early to go with Lee or something like that. In any case, it'll be nice to have a little cash flowing into my account as well so I don't have to depend on Jeremy for pretty much everything. I will continue to look for something a bit more fullfilling and full time.

I've also been spending a lot of time calling around to see about our taxes. I'm not getting very far, but we do have an appointment tomorrow with someone in Pembroke to go over our situation and give us a quote. Also, Wednesday (althought I'll be gone) we have an appointment in Ottawa with someone for $400. I haven't heard back from the other two people that said they could do US and Canadian taxes so we'll see.

Yesterday, we went into Pembroke for a few errands. Jeremy HATES shopping, so maybe from now on I can do a little bit of it. It wore him out so much that he fell asleep on the couch the rest of the afternoon. He's had also continued to work on cutting out the boards for his speakers and is working on it today as well. It's coming along.

We did look at our wine again and figured we may as well move on the the next step since we think the fermentation decided to end early. It sat at 1.0 on the hydrometer for over a month now and it was supposed to have gotten to 0.95. We're figuring it fermented a little bit at least. So, we siphoned it back into the bucket and re-siphoned it into the carboy again and added one more ingredient. We now have to stir it 3 times a day for two days and then I believe by the end of next weekend, we should be able to get it bottled. This is our kit that we should get about 30 bottles from. We did bottle the strawberry wine as well last night and got two bottles, but again, it doesn't seem to have any alcohol in it. We'll have to try again maybe come warmer weather since it's looking like that's our problem.

I'm about to have to head out for my run before it gets much later, but I wanted to get something posted while I'm trying to hydrate myself. It's looking like it's about 26F, but sunny at least and I have a slightly shorter long run - 13 miles. Jeremy'll be off to his last Sunday night hockey later and I'm afraid I'm going to be in trouble till we can get out fishing since he only has a couple of weeks left of his Wednesday night hockey before he's out of hockey. He had his last Friday night hockey on Friday and it's not looking good for any spring/summer hockey. Wish me luck for having to put up with a grumpy, no hockey Jeremy for a while!

No comments: