Monday, May 4, 2009

Weekend Accomplishments

We had no idea we'd have such a weekend full. I left Jeremy starting a new batch of from-scratch cranberry wine Saturday morning as I headed off to work. By the time I got back, he had gotten his boat out of the garage and gotten it prepped. He just needs to run water thru it and run the engine. He also had found a latch he screwed onto the back hatch to keep it closed.

We then walked over to the nutrition store around the corner since I needed some more energy gels for my long run and Jeremy wanted some meal replacements. He's still trying to loose a few extra pounds. Later, we decided to make another home-made deep dish pizza. We had remembered we had eating a mac&cheese pizza in Madison and thought we'd try that. It worked pretty well. I made home made mac & cheese and then added it as a topping to the pizza. Jeremy made his half with the usual - bacon, pepperoni, hot peppers and green onions.

We had a nice evening in watching hockey since Lee and Kharren had gone to Ottawa and got back late Saturday night. Sunday, Jeremy got up and decided he wanted to go for a short run and he took Hayde with. Afterwards, we had decided to check out a Jeep that Amanda, downstairs, had found in Pembroke that was sitting out on someone's front lawn. On our way back, we passed the dealerships on the edge of Pembroke and took a few quick glances to see if there were any Jeeps. We did find a dealership with a tent and lots of ballons so we made a quick U-turn and stopped in to check out what was going on. Turned out there was an auto auction that opened for viewing at 11am and closed at 1pm when the auction started. It took only a minute before right in front of us was a red Jeep Cheroke. The keys were in it so we could go in and look at it. It was a 1994 automatic, little rust, but in much better shape than his current one. It has 242,271Km on it - 150,540 miles. Engine ran pretty smooth and quiet and it looked like the tires were relatively new. We continued our search and before long found another red Jeep Cheroke, but a 1993. This one was almost exactly like his current one. Standard, 193,641 Km - 120,323 miles, a bit of rust. We continued on to see if we could figure out what this was all about as we hadn't known about the auction yet. Jeremy gave them his name and decided he'd be back at 1pm to see about bidding. As we drove home, he was thinking about what these two might be worth and wanted to look them up on the internet to get more info and I decided I better try to get my 22 mile run in and figured he was going to have to go back by himself. They mentioned last years auction took about 3 hours.

I headed out and Jeremy met me with gatorade after 4 miles as he headed back into Pembroke for the auction. I did take Hayde with on my first 7.5 mile loop and the weather couldn't be much better. Party cloudy, warmish, but a strong wind in one direction. I was just right with pants and a long sleeve t-shirt. I managed to complete the last 14 miles and Lee came out a few times to meet me, but we had trouble catching each other so I lacked some fluids. All in all, it turned out to go decent enough. I think the chiropractor massage or muscle pulling worked great! My hamstrings didn't get tight like they had the last several long runs. I did stop a few times to stretch and that helped quiet a bit. But, of course after three hours of running, everything was getting tight. I managed to keep close to a 9-9:10 min/mile which I'm feeling good about. I can't wait to go back on Tuesday for my next chiropractor appt to work out some more muscles.

Once I got back, I called Jeremy on his cell to see what the situation was. They must have been getting close to the Jeeps he wanted to bid on. He returned home a little later and I got the news... The first Jeep, the 1993 standard, two guys bid on and it went for $450. Jeremy had decided NOT to bid on this one as the engine ran a bit rough and he thought it had a crack in the exhaust system. So, he waited for the second, 1994 Jeep. Two guys bid on it up to $500 when he jumped in. He and another guy went back and forth until he hit $1,000 and neither wanted to go past, so he ended up with it since he was then one that put up the $1,000. So, we're hoping today, we can get a trip permit so we can at least pick it up and bring it home. It has no plates, so it can't go on the roads. We'll have to get a safety done and then get it insured before we can get it registered and licensed. I guess an elderly woman brought it in to trade when she bought a brand new Jeep. We're excited to see how it runs and we hope it'll at least tie us over for a while. We'll keep driving his current Jeep until it's absolutely dead.

We've got another busy week this week and Jeremy's off to Tokyo early Friday morning for the next week. Wish I could go with him, but we can't afford a $1000 plane ticket for me. :( He'll be practicing his ~15 min presentation he's to give over there this week.

Here are some photo's I took this past week and I'll have more to come of the "new" Jeep! I did manage a few minutes to make a second bed for Hayde to keep upstairs in the bedroom. I'm hoping to add some bumpers for her to rest her head on that I haven't finished yet...

No comments: