Saturday, October 4, 2008

New Discoveries

Jeremy started a Friday night hockey league this week in Deep River. He found it a little more fun than the Wednesday night league. I think the players are a little better. We'll see how this works out.

Today, we spent the mid part of the day running errands and making new discoveries. We
started out at the Beer Store. This is our 1st time here (we've stopped at the LCBO a couple times for wine). It's really different buying alcohol here. You walk in and they have all the beers available in bottles and cans to purchase hanging on the wall with the price below. Just a few examples:
Miller Lite
6-pk can $12.95
12-pk can $22.95
24-pk can $39.95
Pabst Blue Ribbon
12-pk can $15.95
Guiness
6-pk bottle $12.95
12-pk bottle $22.95
24-pk bottle $38.95
We'll have to go easy on our beer purchases. It's just as cheap getting it in a restaurant. We also took back our empty wine bottles. When we purchase them there's a $0.20 deposit on the bottle and we get it back when we take the empty bottle back to the Beer Store. We saw other people bringing in huge garbage bags of aluminum cans so maybe we can take all our soda cans there too? We'll have to look into this.

Out next stop was the
Petawawa Public Library. We hoped we could get cards and thankfully we were able to since we don't yet have any canadian ID (hopefully we can get to in another week, now that we got the last of the documents we needed, but Jeremy's in training all week and won't get home until after the place closes). It's small library but I'm impressed with everything they have. We found books on tape(or CD) and they have a nice selection of movies and of course rows of books. It looks likes it's just been renovated and I think they added on to it recently. We picked up a movie and a book on tape. Jeremy's thinking this might be nice for his commute.

Next stop was Pembroke for our weekly weekend shopping outing. These usually aren't very long since Jeremy HATES shopping and can only handle a few stores in one trip so we've ended up going once or twice (or more) a week to Pembroke for things. He's looking for a butcher shop so he can get some meat to start making his own sausage, jerkey, etc again. He's had to eat up the extra freezer worth of meat from his hunting excursions before moving and with no meat from hunting this year, he's lacking good meat. We found a cute deli in downtown Pembroke and he found some already made sausage links that he couldn't stop eating. Even I had to agree it smelled really good. We found an actual butcher outside of Pembroke, but they were closed and are only open Tues-Fri until 5pm so that will never work. There were a few more on our list, but we didn't have any more shopping patience to stop.

I made Jeremy make a quick stop downtown at Fabricland. I'm going to love this place! It's huge and is FULL of fabric. They even have some nice thick dark denim camo patterns. I saw an add (since it's halloween and some of you know how excited I get at this time for one reason) for reflective ribbon and elastic and they had it!!!! I'm so excited. It's better then what I could find in WI. It comes in a single row of reflective strip so I don't have to cut the ribbon in two anymore and it's not so thick so it should be easier to work with. Too bad I just did Hayde's collar as they even have red ribbon that would have matched her collar. I'd never seen reflective elastic before but this is kinda cool. I had to get some. Ya, ya, I'm a nut, but I can't help myself when it comes to reflective stuff and super neon bright colors. It's all about safety after all my close encounters out running/walking in the day/night.

We hit the Bulk Food store today too by the mall. This is a small store that sells EVERYTHING in bulk! Talk about candy, chocolate, trail mix, granola, flour, pasta, cookie mix, bread mix, spices, cat/dog food and treats, bird seed, pasta, rice, soup mixes, drink mixes, honey, pie fillings, and I could go on and on... There's too much to look at, you'll go crazy! Our next stop was Mark's workwear warehouse in the mall. (Check out my video below of the Pembroke Mall!) Jeremy needs safety shoes for work and this was our second time stopping and we can never find anyone that can help and knows what shoes we're talking about. Looked like they were out of stock and this is the only place employees from AECL can get these shoes. I guess we'll just have to try one more time. Next we stopped at Canadian Tire. This is the Menards/FleetFarm-Farm&Fleet of Canada. I picked up some spay paint to paint my picture frames in the living room I'm working on. I managed to get a quick coat on most of them before it got too cold out to paint and I'd have to say they're turning out really well.

Jeremy's started cutting the wood for the bookcase as I sit here typing so that's exiting. I'm realizing I might need some warmer clothes though and if the heater doesn't start working a little better, I'm going to have to find gloves to wear in the house. Jeremy's loving the temps as these are his favorite temperatures. Oh, I've already warn my winter coat too and I got my boots out. I keep hoping the temps might warm up just a little for a few more days before I think about getting plastic up on the windows. I'm thinking someone needs to invent a down sweatshirt now. Stay warm!

No comments: