Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Winter Storm Watch

Looks like we won't be able to hold winter back much longer. The news this morning is telling us the rain should be starting sometime today and turn into a freezing mix and then snow by the time people are getting off of work. Per the weather station winter storm watch:
"At this point, the threat of heavy snowfall is highest over Eastern Ontario and through Southwest Quebec with the Ottawa valley[right where we are!] in the bulls-eye of the worst conditions. Amounts are likely to top 15 cm, with the possibility of higher terrain in these regions seeing near 30 cm (1 foot of snow). The highest accumulations look to fall east of a line from Deep River[1/2 hr NW of us] to Kingston[couple hrs SE of us]."
On top of this, we'll have strong gusty winds of 50-70kmph (30-43mph). I'll have to update this again tomorrow. We have a high of 3 C (37F) today and a little cooler tomorrow. Friday should get warmer. I have to do a few quick things on the computer before I head out for my run so I can avoid this mess. Fortunately, I am prepared to run in winter conditions, I'm just not ready to have to yet if I can help it. I've also heard we won't be the first to get hit with snow this year as my sister's gotten some out by Denver and I just heard Chicago had some flurries the other day. I think we'll beat everyone on the amounts though...

On the brighter side (even though I like snow), I forgot to mention on my last post that we got some grapes at the grocery store on Sunday and started a 1/4 batch of wine. We're so tempted to try all sorts of fruit to see if hopefully one of these batches will turn out. We just need some more buckets and bottles and some more bubblers and we could have our own winery. I moved the raspberry wine next to the heater vent and turned on my oil heater next to it to help keep it warm and it's bubbling now. There are a few spots in the jug that look like it's starting to clear up. We're hopeful.

Last night Lee and Kharren stopped over and we had dinner here with them. That was fun. I had someone other than Jeremy to talk to... he he he Kharren had made a rice and an avacado chicken sauce. She's Phillipino and eats a lot of rice dishes. It was really tasty.

I almost forgot, Jeremy called a pheasant farm outside of Ottawa last night and made an appointment to take Hayde hunting. He's excited to hunt and to hopefully get some birds to put in the freezer. Hayde's going to love this too. Pheasant is one of his favorite meats. So, we'll take a trip Saturday to do this and see if there's anything else we can do quickly in Ottawa. We'll have Hayde so we won't be able to leave her in the car for too long. It's supposed to be about 4 C (~40F) so it'll be cool.

I should wrap this up before the sky starts clouding up more. I can see some blue spots yet, but I don't think they'll last too much longer.

No comments: